Spicy Chicken Livers on Ciabatta
This is proper ‘blokes’ food! I can just imagine my older brother eating this with a ice cold beer whilst watching the rugby. But ladies, don’t let that put you off, I think I might’ve enjoyed this more than my husband did… AND I had beer with it.
I think Chicken Livers are quite popular in most South African households. Most of the time they are cooked in a spicy peri-peri sauce with a tomato base but I like to cook them in a creamy sauce at times also. But I never, ever do them without chillies. It’s just not the same without chillies.
This is as easy as pie and takes about 25-30 minutes from prep to plate so it makes for a perfect quick supper. To feed a crowd, just add more chicken livers, as easy as that. You could serve it on any bread you prefer but I like the crunchy ciabatta rolls as the crunch goes well with the softness of the chicken livers and mushrooms.
Serve with a sprinkling of fresh parsley, some extra chillies and an ice cold beer and you’re partner will praise the ground you walk on! Guaranteed!
1kg chicken livers, cleaned and trimmed
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
250g mushrooms, sliced
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste
Bread rolls to serve
- In a large pan/wok, brown the chicken livers and set aside.
- Fry the onions and garlic in the same pan until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and the chilli and fry until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add the chicken livers back to the pan and add the chicken stock, cream and paprika.
- Allow to simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the chicken livers are cooked. If you want to thicken the sauce slightly, mix 2tsp cornflour with 1tbsn cold water and add to the sauce. Allow to simmer until thickened.
- Season to taste and serve warm on fresh bread rolls.