Christmas Cookies – DIY Christmas Gifts
Christmas won’t be Christmas without a tin of spicy and aromatic cookies waiting, not only for Santa, but also for munching on yourself!
I used a basic cookie recipe and just added some ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon for that added festive flavour. I really enjoy giving a twist to the normal sugar cookie and this is just well-suited to the season we are in. Of course, as South Africans, our Christmases are filled with smells of the sea and braai’s but a bit of the Northern Hemisphere’s festive flair has rubbed off on me and I like to add a bit of sugar and spice here and there.
These cookies really are incredibly easy to make and if you have a mixer, even more so. You just bung all the ingredients in the bowl and hey presto! You’ve got sugar cookies.
I found these awesome cookie cutters at my local baking store but even just using circles or squares would be fine. Just decorate them with a lot of over the top flair and fabulousness and they will scream Christmas!
For the cookies :
180g soft butter
200g caster sugar
2 large eggs
2tsp ground ginger
1/2tsp ground nutmeg
2tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
For the royal icing
3 cups sifted icing sugar
2 egg whites
Squeeze of lemon juice
Colouring of your choice
gold balls to decorate
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the spices, flour, baking powder and salt and beat well.
- Wrap the dough in clingwrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- When the dough has been chilled, roll it out on a floured surface and cut into the shapes of your choice.
- Bake at 180 for 10-15 minutes until JUST golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.To decorate the cookies:
Beat the egg whites and icing sugar until thick and glossy. About 3-5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and gel colouring (liquid will thin it out too much) and beat again. Place in small piping/ Sandwich bags and snip off the edge or a corner and decorate the cookies as desired. Sprinkle with edible glitter and gold balls and allow the icing to harden.