I am often left standing in front of my fridge/freezer before dinner not having a clue what to cook. During these times my creativity is tested to the max and I sometimes come up with the most (surprisingly) delicious meals. The idea for this dish came up a few nights ago when I was left with a pack of skinless chicken thighs and not much else in my kitchen.
I always have my pantry stocked with tinned tomatoes and tinned beans so I didn’t have to think twice about including these into my dish. Along with spices and smoked chillies it was settled : Mexican Chicken & Bean stew was born.
The end result was a stew so rich and delicious, it was difficult to imagine that it had only been on the stove top for 45 minutes and that I had used every day ingredients in it, which is, I guess the key to most successful recipes. Using simple ingredients and doing something amazing with them. I served the stew with crusty bread (My pantry was so empty, I didn’t even have rice!) , a dollop of sour cream, fresh limes and some fresh coriander. Definitely a perfect weekday meal and absolutely perfect for Winter.
1kg skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked crushed chillies (you could also use fresh chillies)
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika (you could use smoked paprika if you can’t find smoked chillies)
2 tins chopped tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1 tin beans of your choice, rinsed (I used barlotti beans)
salt & pepper to taste
sour cream, to serve
fresh limes, to serve
fresh coriander, to serve
- In a large pot, fry the onions until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the chicken thighs and brown for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spices and coat the chicken in them, then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Rinse the tomato cans with water and add 1 tin of water to the chicken. Add the sugar and allow to come to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the lid and add the beans. Allow to simmer for another 15 minutes, uncovered so the stew can reduce slightly.
- Serve with sour cream, lime and fresh coriander.