Greek Chicken Bake with Tzatziki

Home / Recipes / Greek Chicken Bake with Tzatziki

Greek Chicken Bake with Tzatziki

Greek Chicken Bake

There are few dishes as ‘week-day’ friendly as a good chicken bake. It’s versatile and delicious while not requiring much effort from the cook. Throw everything into a oven-proof pan/dish and allow it to cool away while you get the kids bathed or drink a glass of wine (or both if you’re some of my friends!!).

Greek Chicken Bake

I especially love that anything goes and you can really use this as way to get rid of some of the ingredients in your fridge. Potatoes are always a good idea and you can add bacon, chorizo (or any sausage) and any veg you like. I decided to keep it simple by using free-range chicken thighs with some of Meditteranean Delicacies Calamata-style olives, red onion wedges, dried oregano, lots of garlic and fresh lemon.

Greek Chicken Bake

I served the chicken bake with the Mediterranean Delicacies Tzatziki and warm pita breads and a side salad of rocket, watercress and basil. It was absolutely delicious and one of the easiest meals I’ve ever had to prepare. Just delightful!

Serves 4-6

8 plump, free range chicken thighs
1 head of garlic, halved
2 red onions, cut into wedges
100g Calamata olives
olive oil, to drizzle
2 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
to serve
Mediterranean Delicacies Tzatziki
warm pita breads
extra lemon wedges

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
  2. Place the chicken in a oven-proof pan/dish and add the red onion wedges, sliced head of garlic and calamata olives.
  3. Sprinkle over the dried oregano, season to taste and drizzle over the olive oil and lemon juice.
  4. Place it in the oven and allow to roast for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked throughout and the skin is golden and crisp.
  5. Serve with Tzatziki, warm pita breads and extra lemon wedges.

To win a hamper filled to the brim with fabulous Mediterranean Delicacies products, visit their Facebook page.

Mediterranean Delicacies can be found at select Pick n Pay, Shoprite Checkers, Spar, Fruit & Veg City and independent retailers nationwide.

Follow me on Twitter : SimplyDelishSA

Join the Simply Delicious Facebook Page

• nina

Looks absolutely divine. After a month of not eating meat, I am so ready for this!

• cathy

The temp of the oven on this can not be correct!

Cathy, I double checked, it is correct. :)

• Pam

Cathy, You may want to convert the temp to 350 F. since it is listed as Celsius in the recipe.

• Svetlana

It looks fantastic!! Will definitely try it out. Thanks!

• Casey

Made this. So easy and so delicious. Making it again tonight. Thanks for such a great recipe

• Crissy lee

Love love love but somehow the baking time did not work for me and I had to almost double the time- I baked at 350 F which I believe was correct? I may have used a pan that was a bit small for the recipe – but I will be making this again…. And again… And again!! Thank you!

Crissy, as is best with all cooking, adjusting the time to suit you is always important. My oven might be much faster/hotter than yours and thus our cooking times will vary. I’m glad you liked it. :)

• Janet

I would love to try this but my hubby is not a fan of olives. I however love them but I am not sure if I can find the olives where I live plus I know he won’t eat them. Any suggestions, any suggestions for a substitute on the olives or if I should happen across the olives uses them anyway and let him pick them out lol?

You can definitely leave them in and let him pick them out. That’s what my kids do as they don’t like warm olives. If you can’t find olives, capers do a great job of substituting them!

• Jen

“Olive oil, to drizzle”

At what point is this to be drizzled, before or after cooking? I’ve read the instructions twice and I hope I’m not just missing it. Thanks!

Thanks for pointing this out Jen! I’ve fixed the recipe. Hope you enjoy it! :)