Spicy chicken and feta cheese quesidillas with guacamole
Quesidillas are my go-to meal when I need something quick, tasty and filling. I love it’s versatility and the fact that you an use absolutely anything as a filling. Left-overs are given a new life when teamed with gooey cheese and toasted between two tortillas/wraps.
This is not so much a recipe as it is a list of suggestions for fillings as I don’t exactly need to teach you how to make a quesidilla. It really is just a different form of a toasted cheese sandwich. I always like to pair a protein (shredded chicken/pork, slow-cooked beef/lamb, roughly chopped prawns or beans) with vegetables (literally anything goes here, from spinach, chopped broccoli, corn, courgettes, etc.) and cheese (I like a mixture of mature cheddar and mozzarella to bind everything together and then like to add feta, goat’s cheese or Gorgonzola for flavour). For added flavour I like to add herbs (parsley, coriander, mint) and sliced chillies or pickled jalapeños. It’s very hard to go wrong and unless you try a filling that is completely strange you will have a winner every time.
To serve the quesidillas I like to make a very smooth and velvety guacamole by simply placing ripe avo’s, lemon juice, salt & pepper in my food processor and whizzing it until it’s smooth but you can of course, mash it with a potato masher/fork or even make a chunky guacamole by cubing the avo and tossing with the flavourings. I also like to make a spicy tomato & red onion salsa which I make in the food processor as well (simply because I’m too lazy to chop everything up by hand). But you can serve the quesidillas on their own or try other condiments.
I love how the crispy tortillas is complimented by the oozy cheese…doesn’t that just look like heaven on a plate?
Makes 2 quesidillas
4 tortilla wraps
1 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup grated cheddar
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
for the guacamole
1 ripe avocado
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
- Place a large frying pan/griddle pan over high heat and allow to heat up.
- Place one of the tortilla wraps in the pan and top with half of the cheeses, chicken and chillies.
- Place another tortilla on top and allow the cheese to melt and the bottom wrap to get crispy and golden brown before carefully flipping the quesidilla over. Allow to cook on the other side.
- Remove the cooked quesidilla from the pan and allow to cool slightly before slicing into wedges.
- Continue the process with the rest of the ingredients.
- To make the guacamole, simply combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Serve the quesidillas with the guacamole.