Everyone needs a simple but stunning pasta recipe to pull out when inspiration has packed its bags and have bid you adieu. One of my favourites is the Roasted cherry tomato, ricotta & basil pesto pasta which I’ve cooked more times than I can remember. After a while though, these pastas become more of a staple than they should and you start getting tired of the tried and tested combination. As I needed a new pasta recipe (because I’ll be honest, I feel like my mojo is very slowly trickling out of me as we get closer to the end of the year), I decided to create this pasta.
Chris (the husband), will pretty much do anything for bacon. If I could give him pasta with bacon every night he will be happy. So I knew I wanted to include bacon in this New Pasta but I also didn’t want to add cream and the like because I wanted to keep it fresh and light. I decided to stick to the roasted tomatoes because, well, why wouldn’t you? Roasted tomatoes are one of life’s simplest pleasures. One of my biggest issues with an everyday pasta is that it lacks texture and I am a serious texture girl. I love crunch so I wanted to add lovely toasted breadcrumbs (more like little chunks) flavoured with olive oil and oregano.
The end result was a seriously delicious pasta filled with tons of flavour and definitely one that will be used whenever I am left with no inspiration.
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 250g bacon (I would bump this up to 500g because of the husband)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- roasted tomatoes
- handful fresh basil, finely sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- stale sourdough bread, blended in a food processor until you have small chunks
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500g cooked pasta of your choice
- fresh basil leaves
- To make the roasted tomatoes, pre-heat the oven to 220°c and place the tomatoes in a roasting tray and add the garlic.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with the salt & pepper.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and starting to burst open.
- To make the breadcrumbs, toss the breadcrumbs with the olive oil, oregano and salt and spread onto a roasting tray. Allow to brown in the hot oven for 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make the sauce, chop the bacon into bite size pieces and fry in a large pot until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and fry the onion and chilli until soft and translucent.
- Add the roasted tomatoes (and garlic) and bacon back to the pot.
- When the pasta is cooked, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and toss the drained pasta with the sauce, add the basil and some of the cooking liquid and allow to sit for a minute so the pasta can absorb all the sauce.
- Serve the pasta with a generous handful of breadcrumbs and a few fresh basil leaves.