Caprese tart with roasted tomatoes

Caprese tart

I made this tart a while ago when I had some friends coming over for lunch. I wanted to serve something light and easy and this tart was just the thing. I served it with a simple salad of frisee, rocket and watercress with a few chunks of creamy avocado and steamed asparagus spears dressed with a zesty lemon vinaigrette. Add a few bottles of chilled white wine and you have the perfect relaxed lunch with friends.

Caprese tart

for the tart
  • 1 roll, ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
  • 200g buffalo mozzarella/fior di latte, sliced into ½ cm slices
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • fresh basil leaves
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
  2. Place the sliced tomatoes on a non-stick baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the thyme, salt, sugar and salt and place in the oven.
  3. Allow to roast for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and are caramelising around the edges.
  4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Turn the oven down to 180°c.
  5. To make the tart, roll the pastry out a little thinner and place on a baking paper-lined baking sheet. Score around the edges to make a border, ensuring you don't cut through the pastry.
  6. Place the tomatoes and mozzarella on the pastry, alternating between the two.
  7. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
  8. Drizzle a little olive oil over the tomatoes and mozzarella and season with salt & pepper.
  9. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
  10. Remove from the oven and top with the fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Caprese tart

• Angie@Angie's Recipes

wow this looks so flaky and gorgeous with the colours and flavours!

• Annette

Hallo Alida,

Waar koop jy Buffalo / Fior di Latte kaas? Ek bly in Benoni, Oos-Rand en kry dit glad nie in die hande nie.
    Wanneer is jou tweede resepte boek op die rak?

Annette, ek koop dit gewoonlik by Woolies.

My tweede boek is in November uit.

Thanks Angie.

• all talk entertainment

I’m definitely going to have to try this. Perfect with the holidays coming.

I agree!

• Dale

Hello,

I don’t like many food blogs, but I do enjoy 2 of them. I really like yours and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. Between the two of you, I get so many ideas.

Keep those recipes coming.

Dale

Thanks for the lovely compliment Dale!

• Aya

This seems really easy to do and my bf is a nut for Caprese! I will definitely give this a go! Thank you!

-Aya

• Cinny

Looks great! What type of tomatoe did you use?

I used Roma tomatoes.

I hope you both love this tart as much as I do!

• Vogue Cuisine

Looks delish!!!! Definitely trying it out!! http://www.voguecuisine.wordpress.com

• Linda R.

THis looks so yummy! Would really be good with a drizzle of balsamic reduction!

Absolutely!

• Haloumi

I finally got around to trying this gorgeous tart. Just before serving I drizzled just a little Balsamic reduction over the top and it was AMAZING, served with a rocket salad…. New family favorite Thank you :-)

• Youmen Salam

Happy new year…I did it but it took much more time than 20 min…and the dough remained not well cooked and saggy…any hint why?

I can only imagine it’s because your oven isn’t as hot as mine. Your oven needs to be nice and hot before you put the tart in so that the base can crisp up and cook properly. Perhaps bake it for longer or turn your heat up a little?

• Youmen Salam

Thank you,will try again and let you know

• Tammy

I made this today and the juice had everything soggy. I placed the tart onto a wire rack in the pan to raise the tart up out of juice. Worked beautifully.

• Natalie

Can I put it together and then bake later? I have to travel with it and want it hot but am worried that assembling it before may make it soggy?

Natalie, I would rather bake it at your destination if you can. I’m so scared that the base will be soggy and that will be a terrible disappointment.

• Sasha

I have a question, I made this recently and the flavour was gorgeous, however mozzarella is a very wet cheese and the juice ran everywhere making the base soggy :-( Do you have any idea how to stop this happening? As I would like to make it again. Is it a case that the oven needs to be hotter?

Sasha, firstly, perhaps allow your mozzarella to drain well before using it and blot it with a clean cloth to remove most of the moisture? Then yes, a very hot oven will definitely help a lot. Put your tray at the bottom of the oven so that heat hits the pastry and makes it nice and crisp.

It could be that your tomatoes are much juicier than mine but by roasting them they should have much less moisture. I like the idea of placing it on a wire rack!