Almond & Parmesan crumbed chicken
I’m going to be honest with you. Low carb eating isn’t the hardest thing in the world after you accept that bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cake, doughnuts and sugar are off limits. But then you remember that things that are crumbed just taste so much better and then you want to die a little because crumbs are very much not allowed. And THEN you remember that ground almonds are often used to replace flour and breadcrumbs and then you feel a little better about your life.
These almond and parmesan crusted chicken strips are in fact MUCH more delicious than regular breadcrumbed chicken. The flavour is nutty and rich with a lovely savoury depth from the Parmesan. You could of course crumb chicken breasts as is or flatten them out to make schnitzels but these chicken strips are a great snack and the kids absolutely loved them. I served them with home-made mayo but they are also great dipped into tzatziki.
- 4 free-range de-boned, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g finely grated parmesan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- lemon wedges
- home-made mayo/tzatziki
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- With a meat mallet, thin out the chicken breasts slightly then slice into thin, long strips.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix the almonds, parmesan, salt, pepper and parsley in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Coat the chicken first in the egg and then in the almond mixture and make sure that each strip is well coated. (Traditionally you coat the chicken first in flour because this makes the coating stick better, if you want you can do this but this will result in it not being low-carb anymore or you could experiment with coconut flour.)
- Place the chicken on a non-stick baking sheet. At this point you can spray/brush them a little with olive oil or butter but this is optional.
- Place the chicken in the oven and allow to bake for 15-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the coating is crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving with fresh lemon and a dipping sauce of your choice.