Bacon corn bread
A quick to mix and easy to bake bacon corn bread perfect to serve as a side dish at a barbecue or with warming soups and stews in the winter.
When I first posted this recipe back in 2011, I never knew it would be such a hit. I mean, I knew people would like it because let’s face it, bacon AND corn baked into a delicious loaf? Mother may I!! But I didn’t really think it would blow up the way it did. It’s been pinned more than 360 000 times and there are still people commenting on it, etc. It’s just incredible. So naturally, I wanted to re-do it because #1 My photos are better and #2 I never need to be asked twice to make this bread.
Except for cooking the bacon, this is really the simplest recipe and can be done within minutes where after you stick it in the oven and forget about it for an hour or so and so it is the ultimate minimum effort/maximum reward kind of easy recipe. I can tell you that the left-overs are absolutely delicious toasted, topped with an egg and creamy mushroom sauce and that it makes a great lunchbox filler the next day but truthfully I don’t know if you will be able to do any of these things because it’s very, very hard to be restrained around this loaf.
Within minutes of it coming out of the oven, my kids and husband had already descended on it, slathered it in butter and gobbled it up. Consequently, I now bake two loaves every time I make this bacon corn bread. If you can wait for longer than 5 minutes to eat it, this bread is fantastic served as a side dish at a braai (barbecue) and is perfect served alongside a steaming bowl of soup or stew. So whatever you’ve got planned this weekend, best you work this loaf into it. Enjoy!
- 250g streaky bacon (approximately 10 strips), diced
- 3 cups (375g) cups all purpose/cake flour
- 2 teaspoon (10ml) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 x 400g tin (approx. 12 oz) whole corn kernels (drained)
- 1 x 400g can (approx. 12 oz) cream style sweetcorn
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and grease a standard size loaf tin.
- Fry the chopped bacon in a very hot pan until slightly crisp. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the corn and bacon and pour into the prepared loaf tin. Place in the oven.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too fast simply cover with a bit of foil. As ovens vary, your loaf might need a little more time in the oven but it is ready if a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 20 minutes before removing from the tray.