Bacon & Mielie (Corn) Bread
This delicious bacon and corn bread is a fantastic, easy recipe. It is perfect served at barbecues or with a pot of steaming chili.
There’s not much to be said about this bread. I mean seriously. Bacon IN the bread? Is this the best idea EVER? And I have the wonderful Chantelle from Just Chef to thank for this moment of inspiration. She is 100% responsible for making me drool and dream of this bread and finally, I got around to making it yesterday.
I didn’t use Chantelle’s recipe but rather made mine up as I went and it happens to be the easiest ‘baked good’ I’ve ever made. Other than the 7 minutes it took to fry the bacon, I threw this together in 5 minutes and popped it into the oven for just over an hour to become golden and delicious. And in 10 minutes, it was finished. I’m not even exaggerating. My twins had a slice each for lunch and the rest was eaten (very greedily) by my husband, my brother and myself.
I think, had we shown some restraint, having this for breakfast with a fried egg on top, would probably be the best thing in the world for a hangover (which is enough to get me drinking just to GET the hangover) but eaten warm with a good slathering of farm butter was just heaven.
I’m not going to ramble on any longer, instead I’ll just give you the recipe and urge you to buy the ingredients today, right now in fact, and start baking asap. You won’t regret it!
- 250g bacon, diced
- 2.5 (625ml) cups all purpose (cake) flour
- 2tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 1tbsn (15ml) sugar
- 1tsp (5ml) salt
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup (125ml) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tin (410g) whole corn kernels (drained)
- ½ tin (about 200g) cream style sweetcorn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°c AND grease a standard size loaf tin.
- Fry the chopped bacon in a very hot pan until slightly crisp. Drain off any excess fat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, butter and milk and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the corn and bacon and pour into the prepared loaf tin. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the loaf and place into the oven.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the loaf is browning too fast, turn the heat down.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down for 5 minutes before removing from the tray.