Banana & Bran Muffins
There are very few people who don’t like muffins. I am one of those people. Muffins are like cakes without icing sugar and quite honestly, I don’t get cake without icing. But I can’t deny that they are very effective snacks and great as a quick grab-and-run breakfast. As long as they are of the healthier kind. These Banana & Bran muffins are just that. Packed with wonderful bananas and bran, they hold plenty of fiber and nutrients. They are great as tea-time treats and lunchbox fillers and they keep rather well so you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week and munch on them all week long!
Makes 12 muffins
4 Large ripe bananas (about 2 cups mashed)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 large Egg
1 cup flour
1 cup bran
1tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1.2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with cupcake papers or grease the tray well.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with the sugar, oil and egg.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine and fold in the bran.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and combine well.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake papers, top with 2 slices of banana and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.