I am having a serious love affair at the moment. A love affair with the humble beetroot. This is an affair unlike any other. Quite intense, actually. I think about it all day and try to work it into every meal (mostly settling on having it simply roasted). And to think, as a child I absolutely hated it. But then, we didn’t have simple, whole beetroot in our house when I was young. We only had the bottled variety. Grated beetroot in a sweet, sour pickling liquid which looked almost black in the large bottles it came in. When spooned onto your plate it would bleed it’s purple liquor into everything surrounding it. Chicken, beans, salad and carrots were all given a psychedelic hue. I absolutely hated it.
But now I am obsessed with its earthy flavour and I don’t even mind the stain it leaves on my fingers after I’ve roughly pushed the soft, roasted skins off of the purple orbs. And in this tarte tatin, the beautiful beetroot comes alive. The obvious partner for beetroot is soft, tangy goat’s cheese and so, I mixed a fresh Chevin with a little Mascarpone to create a lovely, creamy accompaniment to the tart (similar to what I did for my Tomato Tarte Tatin).
Serve this with a zesty side salad for a chic lunch or serve in mini-form as a delectable starter for a dinner party.
- 500g baby beetroot, cooked
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 roll, ready-made puff pastry
- 100g chevin
- 50g Mascarpone
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Slice the beetroot in half.
- In an oven-proof frying pan, place the sugar and Balsamic and allow to melt for 30 seconds before adding the baby beetroot.
- Season to taste then top with a circle of puff pastry and tuck in the edges.
- Place the tart in the oven and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 30 seconds before turning it out onto a plate.
- Serve at room temperature with the goat's cheese cream.
- To make the cream, mix the goat's cheese and the Mascarpone together.