Chewy rice krispie treats topped with silky caramel and toasted marshmallows. A childhood treat dressed up.
Now listen, we’re starting off this week with every little bit of indulgence we can possibly manage with this rice krispie treats recipe because 1) Mondays and 2) I messed up a teensy little bit.
I have had this idea for an incredible Greek salad for the longest time. I knew exactly what would go in it, which props I would use, how we would photograph it. Everything. The recipe worked perfectly, the photos were absolutely stunning and I was eager to upload it all today. Then while editing the images, I realised something was missing. If it was a small detail, it wouldn’t be a big deal but you guys. I left out… THE OLIVES! The freakin olives in a GREEK SALAD. *face palm* I tried to work around it. “Just say you forgot to add them.” “Maybe no-one will notice” (yeah right). But it all came down to me wanting to bang my head on the table repeating “Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!” I mean, luckily I always have a few blog posts in the pipeline so I can share this amazing recipe with you today but still. Come on! Rest assured, that recipe will be re-shot and will be coming your way later this week.
So back to these bad boys. And yes, they are a little bad. Because not only did I make rice krispie treats that are already quite sinful, I topped them with a rather generous (read: boat load) of caramelised condensed milk (or dulce de leche/caramel treat) and then topped that off with a hefty sprinkle of mini marshmallows. A quick toast under the grill and we were golden. I mean, would you just look at them. Look at that drippy caramel. And the toasty marshmallows. And that pretty pink rice krispie treat. Just look!
Full disclaimer: These are incredibly sticky, a little messy and oh-so-worth it. Have a few napkins handy when you’re eating these. Also, I halved these bars when I was done shooting because these are rich, sweet little bombs of decadence and they should be served in small doses. Except if you are my kids in which case you will shove as many as you can down your throat before mom sees and shouts at you. Oh, the joys!
- 4½ (225g) marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups (125g) rice krispies
- 1½ cups caramel treat (caramelised condensed milk/dulce de leche)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large handfuls mini marshmallows
- Grease and line a 25cmx25cm square cake pan with parchment paper.
- To make the rice krispie treats, melt the marshmallows and butter together in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- When the mixture is smooth, add the rice krispies and quickly mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared cake pan and press down with damp hands into an even layer.
- Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
- When the rice krispie treats have firmed up, whip the caramel with the lemon juice then spread on top of the rice krispie treats and return to the fridge for another 60 minutes.
- When the caramel has firmed up, top with the mini marshmallows then toast with a kitchen blow torch or under a hot grill. Allow to cool then turn out of the cake pan and slice into bars.
- Store in the fridge on a sheet of parchment paper.