Cheese jalapeño corn fritters
What is it about sweetcorn? Why is it so damn delicious? I have always loved this humble vegetable but of late I find myself craving it. Simply steamed, slathered in butter, mixed into batter to make a delicious corn bread or roasted in a salad. I am obsessed. My favourite way of all to eat corn however is in a fritter. Make me a good corn fritter and I’m yours.
So when this idea popped into my head I was beyond excited and wasted no time getting in the kitchen to whip up a batch. As soon as the fritters were cool enough to eat, I practically inhaled one and you guys. Oh, you guys. This was love at first bite. Seriously. Sweet, delicate corn in a light, fluffy batter flavoured with mature cheddar and spicy jalapeños. Heaven, right? The twins dubbed this “one of the most delicious things you’ve ever cooked” and C promptly ate +- 12 of them.
These make the perfect snack with drinks (save this one for the next time your hosting someone for a rugby game and helllooooo perfect Superbowl snack and can be made in mini sizes and served with a sweet dipping sauce as a delighful canapé. However you make them and for whatever reason, these will definitely be a hit and you will be praised by your friends and family.
- 6 ears of corn, roasted/grilled and kernels cut off the cob
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar
- 1-2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and smoked paprika.
- In a measuring jug/bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the corn kernels, cheese and jalapeños.
- Heat enough oil to deep-fry the fritters in a large pot then drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the sizzling oil.
- Fry until golden brown and cooked through then remove and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat until all the batter has been fried.
- Serve with lemon wedges.