Chicken livers in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
I LOVE Chicken Livers, they are quite a regular in our household but they are usually done in the truly South-African way, in a Peri-Peri gravy and served with Fresh Breadrolls and lots of butter. However, this week I though I’d do something different with them and decided to make a Pasta sauce out of them. I just kind of tossed a whole lot of stuff together and the outcome was one of the nicest pasta sauces I’ve ever tasted.
750g Chicken Livers, Cleaned and Rinsed.
1 Large onion, finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
250g Portabello mushrooms, chopped
2tbsn Cream of Chicken soup powder (mushroom would also work)
1/2 cup Sherry
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
Salt and Black pepper to taste
- IN a large, hot pot/wok, fry the Chicken Livers until brown and almost cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean and add more oil. Fry the onion and garlic until soft and add the mushrooms. Sautè for another 5 minutes and add the Sherry.
- Allow to reduce a little and add the cream.
- Return the Livers to the pan and add the seasonings. Allow to cook for +-10 minutes on a low heat.
- Mix the Maizena and soup powder with the milk.
- Turn the heat up and add the Maizena mix.
- Allow to thicken and serve over cooked pasta of your choice.