Classic vanilla cupcakes with whipped buttercream
Perfectly moist vanilla cupcakes topped with whipped vanilla buttercream and sprinkles is the ultimate, classic bake and is perfect as a birthday treat.
Before I started Simply Delicious, I was a pretty frustrated stay-at-home-mom. I loved taking care of the twins but I needed an outlet for my creativity and I knew I wanted to create something. I started a small cupcake business baking and selling cupcakes as a way to keep me busy when my babies didn’t need my attention. It was so much fun creating the flavours and playing with piping techniques etc. But then the recession hit and people didn’t have money for cupcakes anymore. Boo. Anyway, it was meant to be because a few months later I started Simply Delicious and the rest is history.
But to this day, people still ask me for my vanilla cupcake recipe and every now and then, friends and family will beg and plead for me to bake them a batch. I’ve always found this quite funny because you guys, there is no simpler recipe than this one. It’s literally a one-bowl batter that takes like 5 minutes to whip up. And it delivers perfectly moist delectable cupcakes every time.
They are the perfect base for any frosting you’d like to top them with but here I’ve kept the vanilla theme by topping them with swirls of whipped vanilla buttercream. Whipping the buttercream results in smooth, light buttercream which adds just the right amount of sweetness to the cupcakes. Top them with a sprinkle of sprinkles and everyone’s happy because who doesn’t love sprinkles? No one that’s who!
- ½ cup/ 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract/seeds from one vanilla pod
- 100g butter, room temperature
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- sprinkles, for decorating
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix through then add the milk and vanilla.
- Mix until everything is combined then spoon the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Place into the oven and allow to bake for 12-15 minutes until the cupcakes are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, whip the butter until pale then add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and whip until soft and fluffy. Add a little milk if your buttercream is too stiff.
- Transfer the whipped buttercream to a piping bag and pipe swirls of frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles and serve. (These cupcakes can be made the day before you intend to serving them.)