Corn flake-crusted chicken strips with honey-mustard sauce
Crispy corn flake crusted chicken strips served with an easy honey-mustard dipping sauce is the perfect easy game day snack or casual appetizer.
I was around 11 or 12 when a big fast food franchise opened its doors in our city. We are all incredibly excited because it was something we had only heard about/seen on TV. We knew they sold burgers and meals that made kids happy. Their clown mascot was a little creepy (let’s be honest) but we were willing to overlook that for skinny fries and burgers in an instant.
The first time I went there, I completely overlooked all of that because I spotted chicken nuggets on the menu. “What even is chicken nuggets?” I thought to myself. The thought of honey-mustard dipping sauce sold it for me and I immediately ordered. And I was not disappointed. I didn’t even care that the chicken was a little bouncy. The crisp, hot nuggets dunked into that creamy, sweet dipping sauce had me falling hard. Fast forward a few years and that same fast food joint discontinued that beloved sauce of mine. I was heartbroken. And then I forgot about it, as you do.
A while ago the kids asked me what my favourite food was as a kid. I told them this story and they immediately demanded I make them my version of my childhood fav. And so I did. And you guys. It was SO good. And SO much better than what I ever remember eating as a child. I decided to use my trusty corn flake-crusting method I used on my Chicken Parm recipe and made chicken strips (or chicken tenders, depending on where you live) instead of nuggets. But let’s get real, the sauce is what makes this.
It could also not be easier. I used a good quality shop-bought mayo, Dijon as well as wholegrain mustard for that lovely warmth, honey (duh!) and a good squeeze of lemon juice to add the right amount of zing. I’m not even lying to you, I could eat this just as is. It was completely addictive. But had crispy, crunchy, succulent chicken and you have a total masterpiece on your hands. This is, to me, the ultimate easy, casual snack/lunch/dinner and can you just imagine how great it would be on game day? Yes!!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into long strips
- 1 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- ½ teaspoon smoked papriks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2-3 teaspoons honey (to taste)
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- To make the chicken strips, place the seasoned flour, egg and corn flake crumbs in separate bowls. Add the paprika, oregano, salt and pepper to the corn flake crumbs and mix well.
- Coat the chicken strips first in the flour, then in egg and then in the corn flake crumbs. For an extra thick coating, you could repeat the egg and corn flake steps but you might need more of both egg and corn flakes.
- When all the chicken is coated, heat enough oil to fry them in a deep frying pan/skillet.
- Fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.
- Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a piece of kitchen paper.
- To make the honey mustard dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Serve the hot chicken strips with the honey-mustard dipping sauce.