Juicy chicken breasts cooked in a creamy bacon and mushroom sauce. This recipe is perfect for an easy meal served with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
Things have been a little quiet over the last week over here. It’s funny how that sometimes happens. I had so much content planned for this week but I honestly just had no inspiration to write anything. I’ve had the recipes done and photographed, the photos edited and waiting to be uploaded but I just had nothing to say. And in those moments I know that I need to step back and just take a moment to breathe and find that inspiration again.
I feel like I’ve been in “create-mode” for the last 10 months. Not giving myself a moment NOT to think about recipes, photography, videos. Every moment has been consumed with thoughts of food and how I can make my recipes better, more delicious. “Push, push, push!” I’ve told myself and then at the end of last week I just needed to allow myself to take a moment. And after a few days of still thinking about food (I mean, come on) but not picking up my camera and just giving myself that time, I feel completely rejuvenated and ready for the last little push before our annual Summer holiday in December.
And you guys, it’s going be quite a push because not only am I planning a truck-load of content for Simply Delicious throughout November and December (I have your Holiday recipes covered!), I’m also shooting loads for my clients and most exciting: I’ve taken on a few new clients who have asked me to create recipe videos for them. I am SO excited because we’ve only been doing videos for a month-or-so now and it’s such an honor when other people trust you with their content. So yeah, it’s going to be a hella-busy November. But I’m super amped.
So let me tell you about this chicken. I’ve spoken about C’s love of all things bacon and mushroom before and I’ve also mentioned that he is not a fan of chicken. I know, how even?! So I find ways to trick him into eating it and this one worked like a dream. The creamy bacon and mushroom sauce scented with fresh thyme, lemon and black pepper was absolutely delectable and the juicy chicken breasts completed the meal.
I served the chicken breasts with a zesty green salad to cut through some of the richness and a generous hunk of crusty bread to mop up all that sauce. It was such a great, easy weeknight recipe and the leftovers were particularly delicious the next day. I butterflied my chicken breasts to allow them to cook a little quicker but you could honestly use whole breasts and just extend the cooking a little. This would even be delicious with chicken thighs. Yummo!
- 10 strips streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (I butterflied mine to allow for quick cooking)
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup chicken stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- Brown the bacon in a large skillet/deep pan. Remove and set aside. Pour off half of the bacon fat.
- Place the pan back on the heat and brown the chicken breasts on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the mushrooms and garlic until fragrant then add the thyme, lemon juice, chicken stock and cream. Allow to come to a simmer then add the bacon and chicken back to the pan and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced.
- Season to taste and serve.