Creamy chicken and broccoli gnocchi is a great, easy weeknight recipe made using shop-bought gnocchi. Dinner in a flash? Yes please!
Shop-bought gnocchi is one of those staples in my pantry. I always have it because when I am out of ideas, I know I can come up with something pretty delicious using a few packets of potato gnocchi.
This creamy chicken and broccoli gnocchi is a prime example. One night last week, I actually forgot about dinner. Yeah. That happened. Blame it on the end-of-year-rush or just being tired or just being ready for a holiday but I just completely forgot about it. 20 minutes before we usually have dinner the kids came to me while I was typing out recipes asking what we’re having for dinner and why I’m not cooking yet. Um. Mild panic. I very calmly explained that I am cooking something really fast tonight so don’t need to spend an hour in the kitchen. (White lies are essential to parenting right?)
I rushed to the kitchen and thankfully found a packet of chicken breasts ready to be used in the fridge. I grabbed a packet of gnocchi and some broccoli and rustled up this dish. It was so good, I just had to share it with you guys. Because I know I’m not the only one that that’s happened to. Right? (Please tell me I’m not the only loony who has forgotten about dinner!!)
I just love creamy chicken anything and this gnocchi was such a great dinner. We ate it out of bowls with our feet on the couch because listen, at the end of the year I couldn’t care less about the rules anymore, and it was just so luscious. We’ve thankfully had a few cooler days with loads of rain lately and some nights you just want comfort in a bowl right? This is that. Plus it takes less than 30 minutes from prep to plate so we’re all winning.
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into small florets
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¾ cup cream (alternatively use coconut cream)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooked potato gnocchi or pasta of your choice
- In a large, deep frying pan, sauté the chicken in a splash of olive oil until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the broccoli and cook for a minute or two before adding the chicken stock and cream.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and allow the sauce to cook and reduce for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Add the cooked gnocchi stir to combine.
- Serve topped with grated parmesan cheese (optional).