Crispy corn flake Chicken Parmesan
Crispy corn flake coated Chicken Parmesan is an easy, delectable weeknight recipe and is perfect served with al dente pasta.
It just hit me over the weekend that we are in September. SEPTEMBER YOU GUYS. Can we all just take a minute and hit the pause button please? Are you aware that we are a mere 3 and-a-bit months away from Christmas? How even? I’d like to get off this speeding train please because I am so not ready for the end-of-year rush just yet.
But we’re not going to focus on that right now. Right now we have this incredible pan filled with crispy, crunchy yet juicy chicken cooked in a rich tomato sauce topped with ALL the mozzarella and fresh basil. This is Chicken Parmesan Heaven right here. And the trick to making this recipe so amazing? Good ol’ corn flakes.
The idea for this recipe came to me a while ago when one weekend, the kids were dying for crispy chicken. There was not a single, solitary piece of bread to turn into crumbs in this house, my panko stash had been depleted and the last of the frozen breadcrumbs had been used and I was desperate. Thank goodness for that forgotten box of corn flakes in the corner because let me tell you, there is nothing that makes crispy crumbs as well as corn flakes. I mean, it makes perfect sense. Corn flakes are already crispy so frying them will just result in more crunch and if you know anything about me, you know I love crunch.
Because there is so much crunch already involved, you could happily bake the coated chicken breasts instead of frying if you wish and then just pop them into the rich, delectable sauce. Speaking of which, the sauce I used is an old Marinara recipe of mine but honestly, any good tomato-based sauce will work here. I think the Balsamic cherry tomato sauce I made as a pizza sauce a while ago will be just as delicious. Anyway, the crispy chicken is baked in this sauce topped with mozzarella until the cheese is all melty and delicious. Top the Chicken Parmesan with fresh basil and serve it on cooked pasta for a delectable weeknight dinner. A loaf of crusty bread will work just as well to mop up all the delicious sauce.
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups corn flakes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- oil for frying
- 3 cupsMarinara sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil, sliced
- cooked pasta of your choice
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place the corn flakes in a ziploc bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have fine crumbs.
- Tip into a flat bowl with the grated Parmesan and season with salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- In another bowl, combine the flour with ½ teaspoon salt and place the eggs in another bowl.
- Flatten each chicken breasts between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Cover each piece of chicken first in the flour, then in the eggs and finally in the corn flake crumbs.
- Heat 2 cups of oil in a large frying pan/skillet and fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides then remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
- Pour the marinara sauce (or any other savory tomato sauce of your choice) into an oven-proof pan then add the fried chicken. Top with grated mozzarella and place in the oven.
- Bake the chicken until the mozzarella has just melted then remove and scatter over the sliced basil.
- Serve with cooked pasta.