Dark Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles is something that no-one can resist. Even people that say “I’m not a fan of Chocolate” will be taken to heaven on a cocoa puff cloud when the dark chocolate melts in their mouth. Creamy? Decadent? Rich? You’ve got it all in this little mouthful of deliciousness.
I think many people are intimidated by making truffles, but they really shouldn’t be. It’s probably the easiest sweet thing that you can make. Other than digging a spoon into a jar of Nutella!
I didn’t add any flavourings to my truffles, as this is the first time I’ve ever attempted making them. But I’ll start venturing further from now on. I think adding a splash of liqueur would be great, especially some Amarula. Adding finely chopped nuts or some preserved ginger could also work. Oh yum! My mind is starting to run away with me. Chocolate goes so well with so many flavours. Why not try it with some orange, chilli, rum, mint, macadamia nuts or coconut. I certainly will!
Makes approximately 25 truffles
400g good quality dark chocolate ( you could also use 200g dark and 200g milk chocolate)
60ml softened, unsalted butter
If you want to add any flavourings, use 10ml liqeuer or other liquid, 4tbsn chopped nuts and as much chilli as you can handle!
Cocoa powder, Icing sugar or melted chocolate for decorating
- In a double boiler, melt the cream and chocolate and mix until smooth.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and beat in the butter. Make sure the butter is mixed in well.
- Add the flavourings of your choice and mix in. Cover and refrigerate until the mixture is firm enough to roll little balls with.
- Using a teaspoon or a melon baller, make and roll balls of truffles and place on some grease-proof paper. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Sift some cocoa/icing sugar onto a plate or melt some dark chocolate in a bowl and cover the truffles with whichever topping you choose.
- Truffles can be kept for up to 2 weeks in the fridge and must be eaten within a week if not refrigerated (although in our hot climate, I wouldn’t take that chance)