Succulent chicken breasts cooked in a rich tomato sauce topped with oozy mozzarella and fresh basil. This Caprese chicken is perfect for weeknight dinners.
Can we just talk about Caprese for a second? Because I honestly have a problem. I have “Caprese’d” so many recipes, I’ve actually turned it into a verb. Caprese tart? You betcha! Caprese Mac and cheese? Like, duh! Roasted Caprese tomatoes with basil dressing? Yupperoni! Yes, I definitely have a problem.
But is it actually a problem because is there a better combinations of savoury flavours out there? Who could resist juicy tomatoes, oozy mozzarella and vibrant basil together? Add juicy pan-fried chicken breasts and you have an easy weeknight dinner made in Heaven.
I made this Caprese chicken last week and served it with crusty ciabatta to mop up all that rich tomato sauce. It was such a crowd-pleaser and I’ve never been so glad to have doubled a recipe before because SECONDS! You guys, you NEED seconds with this recipe. You could also serve this Caprese chicken with a zesty side salad or even on cooked pasta. It’s pretty versatile and will be drop dead delicious either way.
- 4 skinless, de-boned chicken breasts
- 1x 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil, to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºc/400ºf.
- In a hot oven-proof frying pan, add a splash of oil then brown the chicken on both sides, seasoning well with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and basil to the pan and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and top with the mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil.