This easy kale chicken Caesar salad is dressed in a no-egg, creamy Caesar dressing making it no-fuss, healthy AND delicious.
Serious question: are we over Kale yet? Because I don’t know if I am and this salad just confirmed it. I know so many people who don’t love kale but I honestly just think it’s because they aren’t prepping it right. If you love Spinach/Swiss Chard/Cabbage, you should totally be able to fall in love with kale too.
Having said that though, badly prepped kale is probably the worst thing you will ever eat so be sure to follow my tips and you will be well on your way to perfectly delicious kale salads in no time.
The glorious thing about using kale in a salad is that the leaves are tough enough to stand up to dressings without wilting and going all pathetic on you. However, that’s also the problem. The leaves can be so tough and you need to really give them a good massage with lemon + olive oil + salt + pepper to break down the toughness just a little. After massaging the leaves (that’s a sentence I didn’t think I would ever write) leave them for a few minutes (I’ve left them for up to half an hour) to marinate and chill out a little before tossing in all your toppings.
Now let’s get to that no-egg Caesar dressing. It’s pretty much exactly the same recipe as I used in my Chicken Caesar sandwich (the one inspired by Jamie Oliver) I just didn’t add the Worcestershire sauce this time. You totally could though but I ran out and it didn’t make that much difference. I love this Caesar dressing recipe because it is so easy and requires none of the faff of a classic Caesar dressing. It’s a 5 minute job that transfers this chicken Caesar salad into an absolute masterpiece. To keep things on the lighter side I replaced the croutons with Parmesan crisps and man alive, were they an excellent addition. So crunchy, so cheese and just SO GOOD!
- 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Greek/Plain yoghurt
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons anchovies, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh kale, trimmed and roughly chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- cooked chicken, cubed
- avocado sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºc and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the Parmesan cheese in 6 circles, 5cm apart, and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake until melted, golden and crisp.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Place the kale in a bowl and add the lemon, olive oil and salt. Massage well then leave to marinate for 10-30 minutes (longer than 30 might make the kale too soggy).
- To serve, add the dressing and chicken to the kale and toss well.
- Serve topped with avocado slices and the Parmesan crisps.