This fresh pineapple and passion fruit mojito is great for parties. Add plenty of fresh mint, lemon and ice for the perfect refreshing summer drink.
Now that we’ve been plunged wholly into Autumn in South Africa, I am both excited because the colder months are my favourite but also yearning a little for those warm, care-free days of Summer. And so, in a desperate attempt to hold onto that feeling, I made this cocktail over the weekend for us to enjoy on a beautiful warm afternoon.
I have always been a fan of mojitos and when we visited Malaysia in 2007 drank the most delicious pineapple, lime and ginger version which just makes me salivate thinking about it. I made a few adjustments to my version and also added some fresh passion fruit which added the most delicious floral flavour to the finished cocktail. For those of you who live in the Northern Hemisphere, bookmark this one! You’ll want to make this more than once this summer and it’s just perfect for your 4th of July parties.
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 50ml pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 limes/lemons, sliced
- 150ml light rum
- 4 passion fruit, seeds and pulp removed
- soda water (club soda)
- ice, to serve
- lemon slices, to serve
- fresh mint, to serve
- Blend the pineapple, juice and sugar together until you have a smooth puree.
- To make the cocktail, combine the pineapple puree, rum and passion fruit in a jug with the soda water and mix well.
- Place ice, mint and lemon slices in serving glasses and pour in the mojitos.
- If making this for a crowd, place the mint and lemon in the jug along with the rest of the ingredients and serve with ice.