Fresh pineapple & passion fruit mojito
Now that we’ve been plunged wholly into Autumn in South Africa, I am both excited because the colder months are my favourite but also yearning a little for those warm, care-free days of Summer. And so, in a desperate attempt to hold onto that feeling, I made this cocktail over Easter weekend for us to enjoy on a beautiful warm afternoon.
I have always been a fan of mojitos and when we visited Malaysia in 2007 drank the most delicious pineapple, lime and ginger version which just makes me salivate thinking about it. I made a few adjustments to my version and also added some fresh passion fruit which added the most delicious floral flavour to the finished cocktail. For those of you who live in the Northern Hemisphere, bookmark this one! You’ll want to make this more than once this summer.
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 50ml pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 limes/lemons, sliced
- 150ml light rum
- 4 passion fruit, seeds and pulp removed
- soda water (club soda)
- ice, to serve
- lemon slices, to serve
- fresh mint, to serve
- Blend the pineapple, juice and sugar together until you have a smooth puree.
- To make the cocktail, combine the pineapple puree, rum, mint and lemon/lime and passion fruit in a jug then muddle together.
- Pour a little of the pineapple mixture in the bottom of 4 glasses, add ice then top with soda water. Add fresh mint and a few slices of lemon and serve.