There are few dishes as ‘week-day’ friendly as a good chicken bake. It’s versatile and delicious while not requiring much effort from the cook. Throw everything into a oven-proof pan/dish and allow it to cool away while you get the kids bathed or drink a glass of wine (or both if you’re some of my friends!!).
I especially love that anything goes and you can really use this as way to get rid of some of the ingredients in your fridge. Potatoes are always a good idea and you can add bacon, chorizo (or any sausage) and any veg you like. I decided to keep it simple by using free-range chicken thighs with some of Meditteranean Delicacies Calamata-style olives, red onion wedges, dried oregano, lots of garlic and fresh lemon.
I served the chicken bake with the Mediterranean Delicacies Tzatziki and warm pita breads and a side salad of rocket, watercress and basil. It was absolutely delicious and one of the easiest meals I’ve ever had to prepare. Just delightful!
8 plump, free range chicken thighs
1 head of garlic, halved
2 red onions, cut into wedges
100g Calamata olives
olive oil, to drizzle
2 tsp dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
Mediterranean Delicacies Tzatziki
warm pita breads
extra lemon wedges
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Place the chicken in a oven-proof pan/dish and add the red onion wedges, sliced head of garlic and calamata olives.
- Sprinkle over the dried oregano, season to taste and drizzle over the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Place it in the oven and allow to roast for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked throughout and the skin is golden and crisp.
- Serve with Tzatziki, warm pita breads and extra lemon wedges.
To win a hamper filled to the brim with fabulous Mediterranean Delicacies products, visit their Facebook page.
Mediterranean Delicacies can be found at select Pick n Pay, Shoprite Checkers, Spar, Fruit & Veg City and independent retailers nationwide.