I am not ashamed to say that I am a Guacamole freak. I adore it and could have it everyday. The only thing I don’t like about guacamole is that traditionally, chopped tomato is added. I don’t know why this is but it gives me the heebie-jeebies and I can’t handle the texture.
However, when it’s left plain with a little bit of chilli, lemon, salt & pepper, I could gobble it up by the bowl full (and often do). Recently I had avocados in the house and wanted to create a side salad for dinner and without lettuce or cucumber, I decided to make this guacamole salad. Even though I despise tomatoes in guacamole, halved cherry tomatoes work really well here. Their sweetness brings a beautiful freshness and balances out the creaminess from the avocado. I also added thin slices of red onion, a few snipped spring onions and fresh parsley (only because I didn’t have fresh coriander/cilantro). I added chopped chillies to mine but left them out for the kids and I must say, there’s just something about chilli that magnifies all other flavours and I couldn’t imagine this salad without it.
This really is a great salad to serve with grilled meat/fish and seeing as we are experiencing wonderful Summer temperatures at the moment (I’m melting as I type this, at 9am!), you really should give it a go at your next braai!
- 4 avocados, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- large handful fresh parsley/coriander
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste (I used fresh white pepper)
- Place the sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes and red onion on a large platter/individual plates and scatter over the herbs and chilli.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately.