Margarita pizza rolls
Margarita pizza dough rolls stuffed with mozzarella, rich tomato sauce and fresh basil is the ultimate easy snack or lunch.
Weekends are just made for pizza, aren’t they? In the Ryder household, we have pizza pretty much every single weekend. Whether we make it ourselves or order in, we are indulging in some sort of cheese-topped-dough weekly. And I’m not even a little bit mad about that.
These Margarita pizza rolls are the much easier, more laid-back cousin of my ultimate favourite pizza, the Margarita. To me, you can’t do much better than good, crusty-yet-chewy dough, flavourful tomato sauce, good mozzarella and fresh basil. A Margarita pizza is a classic for a reason. These Margarita pizza rolls have all the same characteristics but all those delectable flavours are presented in these adorable rolls. These gloriously stuffed rolls are perfect served as a side dish, as an easy snack or a casual lunch but let’s be honest. Eating them straight out of the oven with the cheese melting all over the place is the only way I really want to be enjoying them. Dipped into some more of that glorious pizza sauce, they are simple perfection.
- 1 cup tomato puree/canned chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder/granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- pizza dough
- Cubes of mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºc and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine all the ingredients for the tomato sauce and set aside.
- To make the rolls, flatten gholf-ball sized pieces of dough then add a teaspoon of tomato sauce, a cube of mozzarella and a fresh basil leaf. Fold up the edges and seal.
- Place the pizza rolls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Combine all the garlic butter ingredients and mix well. Generously brush the garlic butter over the top of the rolls.
- Place the rolls in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with pizza sauce for dipping.