I remember eating this chicken as a child, wondering how on earth my mom managed to make the most delicious chicken on earth when she was only in the kitchen for around 10 minutes. I loved how the glaze would stick to my fingers and I had to lick my fingers to get it off. When I say this is sticky, I mean it’s REALLY sticky. And you would never guess which ingredients have been used to make the glaze. I thought my mom was quite the visionary at first but then realised that this is a very popular way to cook chicken. In South Africa, at least.
When I first tried her recipe around a month ago, I was dead certain that it wouldn’t work. After all, who could guess that mayonnaise, chutney and lemon juice could create a bake-in sauce that would result in the most delicious, easiest chicken? But I trusted my mom’s recipe and went ahead. When I opened the oven, I was met with gloriously golden, sticky chicken and I have to say it again, it was absolutely scrumptious.
The twins gobbled it up eating 3 drumsticks each! C (who doesn’t like chicken, by the way) lapped it up and I’ve been making it every week since then. When my dad first tasted it, he was so chuffed that I had recreated my mom’s tried-and-tested chicken.
I can guarantee that you will not have a single piece of chicken left when making this. And this is, most definitely, the easiest chicken recipe I’ve ever made. You stir the ingredients together, tip it over the chicken and pop it into the oven. I served the chicken with steamed broccoli tossed in lemon juice and olive oil and super sweet mielies (sweetcorn). A great mid-week meal.
- 1 cup tangy mayonnaise (shop bought)
- 1 cup peach chutney (I use Mrs Balls chutney)
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup water
- 8 chicken pieces (I used drumsticks and thighs)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Place the chicken in an oven-proof baking dish.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, chutney, lemon juice, salt and water and pour over the chicken.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 30-45 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and the sauce is sticky. (I spoon some of the sauce over the chicken at the 20 minutes mark.)
- Remove from the oven and serve.