Aromatic, quick and easy fried rice filled with fresh vegetables is a substantial yet light recipe for dinner and makes for great leftovers.
You know those nights you have zero energy or inspiration to cook but you/your family needs to eat? Yep, I’ve been having a few of those lately. That is exactly how this quick and easy vegetable fried rice came about. I was standing in front of a fridge full of vegetables and knew that I couldn’t stand to be in the kitchen for longer than 20 minutes. Luckily for me, we also had a substantial amount of leftover rice from the previous day and I decided to knock together a pan-full of quick, healthy fried rice. \
The beauty of recipes like these is that they change every time you make them. Today you have an abundance of fresh vegetables, tomorrow you have only a few and need to add a few more aromatics to amp up the flavour. Because I wasn’t going to add any meat to my recipe, I wanted to enhance the flavour with ginger, garlic and some of my other favourites, soy sauce, fish sauce and a little yuzu. Yuzu isn’t exactly the most easy to come by ingredient out there so lemon or lime juice will both work perfectly too (and in fact, that is what I most often use).
These aromatics paired with the not-small-amount of vegetables I added, resulted in a really hearty yet light dinner. I now make sure I cook double the amount of rice we would need for a meal just so I can make this fried rice the following day. It’s really that good.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1 punnet (approximately 250g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups tenderstem broccoli, stems sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons yuzu/lemon/lime juice
- fresh coriander and chillies, to serve (optional)
- Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a hot wok.
- Fry the onion and carrot until soft then add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes until cooked but still tender-crisp.
- Add the rice and sauces and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.