Remember when I told you we went from winter to scorching hot summer in a matter of days here in South Africa? Well, that still hasn’t changed. It’s so hot that I am dreading the actual warm months approaching. So it’s understandable then that the last thing I feel like doing on a hot night is stand in the kitchen. Thus, my family has become aware that dinner = whatever is quickest to throw together. When I do cook, I try to cook enough for two nights so that we can use the leftovers for something different the following night. This approach has not only saved me time but saved us money as well. Where we used to have a ton of food waste (HATE!), we now have minimal because I use up every scrap I can.
This is exactly how this quick and easy vegetable fried rice came about. I was standing in front of a fridge full of vegetables and knew that I couldn’t be in the kitchen for longer than 20 minutes. Luckily for me, we also had a substantial amount of leftover rice from the previous day and I decided to knock together a pan-full of quick, healthy fried rice. The beauty of recipes like these is that they change every time you make them. Today you have an abundance of fresh vegetables, tomorrow you have only a few and need to add a few more aromatics to amp up the flavour. Because I wasn’t going to add any meat to my recipe, I wanted to enhance the flavour with ginger, garlic and some of my other favourites, soy sauce, fish sauce and a little yuzu.
These aromatics paired with the not-small-amount of vegetables I added, resulted in a really hearty yet light dinner. I now make sure I cook double the amount of rice we would need for a meal just so I can make this fried rice the following day. It’s really that good.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1 punnet (approximately 250g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups tenderstem broccoli, stems sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons yuzu
- fresh coriander and chillies, to serve (optional)
- Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a hot wok.
- Fry the onion and carrot until soft then add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes until cooked but still tender-crisp.
- Add the rice and sauces and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.