This is once again a bit of a bulk cooking dish for me. I feed 5 adults plus my twins with this amount and I usually have left overs. I love LOTS of sauce with oxtail so the rice almost drowns in it so I always make sure I add stock when it starts looking a bit dry. I don’t add too much to it, just the basic flavourings and then one or two secret ingredients, which off course I’m sharing with you!
4 Large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 large onions, finely chopped
5 stalks Celery, finely chopped
5 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Large Tomatoes, Chopped
1 packet Chilli Beef & Vegetable Soup Powder (Brown onion or Cream of Mushroom will also work), mixed with 1l water
1 glass Red Wine (I used Merlot)
3 Bay Leaves
2 tbsn Mascarpone Cheese
Salt and Black pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy based pot, brown the Oxtail in batches.
- Remove and set aside, add some more oil to the pot and fry the onions, celery and carrots until golden and just starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the red wine and allow to reduce slightly.
- Add the tomatoes and the Oxtail back to the pot.
- Mix the Bovril with the Soup powder & water and add to the meat. Add the Bay leaves and allow to come to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 3-4 hours (when I see the Oxtail gets a bit dry, I just add more water to it, you can also add beef/chicken stock, but it shouldn’t really be necessary)
- When the meat is soft, add the Mascarpone and stir through. Season to taste.
- Serve with cooked Rice.