Creamy mayo flavoured with pickled jalapeños elevates an everyday smoked chicken sandwich and turns your boring lunch into something to look forward to.
Don’t you just love a good sandwich? Good bread, flavoursome toppings, something saucy to tie it all together. I just can’t get enough!
Average sandwiches with cold meat/cuts are on our lunch menu often. They are so easy and quick to throw together and after school, there’s just not time for much else I’m afraid. But honestly, I just can’t have any more boring sandwiches. And so I try to jazz them up a little by adding a sauce/spread/condiment to take all the same ingredients and give them new life.
This jalapeño mayo has been just that over the last few weeks. I’ve used it on everything from left-over roast chicken sandwiches to soft rolls stuffed with hickory-smoked ham. It’s a winner on all fronts. A few weeks ago I made us these smoked chicken sandwiches inspired by the much beloved BLT. We had friends over who don’t eat pork and so I decided to use up some sliced smoked chicken I had in the fridge. The slight smoke of the chicken along with the juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce and spicy-creamy jalapeño mayo made these sandwiches simply delectable.
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- bread of your choice (I used a crushed wheat sourdough)
- sliced smoked chicken
- sliced tomato
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together all the jalapeño mayo ingredients and season to taste.
- To make the sandwiches, spread the jalapeño mayo onto sliced of bread generously before topping with smoked chicken, lettuce and tomato. Season the tomato with salt and pepper before sandwiching with another slice of jalapeño mayo-slathered bread.