Every night while I’m cooking dinner the twins come into the kitchen and ask me what I’m making. And every night they say “Sticky chicken?” before I get to answer. Most nights they are disappointed because even though I love sticky chicken, I can only eat it so many times before I turn into a sticky chicken.
It’s no secret that I love Asian flavours and so when I was faced with chicken thighs a few nights ago with very little inspiration, I decided to make a glaze filled with Asian flavours to bake them in. I started by making a chilli syrup to which I added fish sauce, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. I cooked this down to a delicious syrup and then coated the chicken in it. If you aren’t a fan of spicy food, you can of course leave the chilli out or add a smaller quantity. Alternatively, the Soy & Honey glaze I put on these pork chops will work just as well.
I served the chicken with the most scrumptious coconut rice which I made with Jasmine rice and coconut milk which I steamed together in the microwave oven. Disclosure… This is the only way I ever cook rice. My mom did it this way and I can’t do it any other way (unless I’m doing pilaf, etc). I have a pyrex dish with a fitted lid which works just perfectly. Perfectly fluffy rice, everytime!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup soft brown sugar (I used Demerara sugar)
- ¾ cup vinegar
- ⅓ cup dark soy sauce
- ⅓ cup fish sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 1-2 chillies, finely chopped (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 8 fresh chicken thighs
- 1 mug (around 350-400ml capacity) jasmine rice
- 1x 400ml coconut milk
- 1 mug (use the rice mug) chicken stock/water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh lime wedges
- steamed green beans
- To make the glaze for the chicken, combine the sugar and water together in a saucepan and allow to come to a simmer over high heat.
- When the sugar has dissolved, add the chillies, vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger and garlic. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered, until the glaze has reduced and is syrupy. If you are using previously frozen chicken, you'll need to cook it down more as the chicken will release a lot of water when it's cooking, diluting the glaze.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and line a roasting tray with foil.
- Place the chicken thighs in the roasting tray then pour over the glaze.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 30 minutes-45 minutes, glazing every 15 minutes with the glaze in the pan, until the chicken is dark and sticky and cooked through.
- To make the rice, combine the rice, coconut milk, chicken stock/water and salt in a small pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook to packet instructions until rice is cooked through and fragrant.
- Serve the chicken with the rice, lemon wedges and steamed green beans.