The perfect thing for busy mornings are these apple muffins. They are delicious and nutritious. If you prefer not to have chunky muffins you can grate the apples but I quite like the “Apple Pie”-ness of the chunks. The perfect thing for on-the-run breakfasts.
Makes 12 Muffins
Spray ‘n Cook
1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 cup Sugar
2 cups Flour
1.5 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1/2 cupunsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C.Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut 3 apple quarters into small dice; cut remaining apple quarter into 12 thin slices for garnish.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add diced apple and walnuts, if using; toss to coat.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a small bowl. Gently fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just combined; do not overmix.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full.Top each with an apple slice. Bake until muffins are brown around edges and spring back when touched, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Let muffins cool slightly, about 5 minutes, before turning out of tin onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply