Everyone needs them… Recipes that take less than 30 minutes to cook but doesn’t skimp on comfort or flavour. This is one of those. The sauce cooks in the same time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta. You pop it into the oven for 10-15 minutes, kick off your shoes and pour yourself a glass of wine. And when the oven timer beeps, you are relaxed and ready to dig in. I know very well how chaotic dinner time can be in a household full of kids but with recipes like these, it needn’t be. You can even set the oven slightly lower and bake the pasta for 20-25 minutes while bathing the kids or taking a shower yourself.
This is also a great recipe for freezing. If you are only cooking for 2, make the amount stated below and freeze half before baking it. Otherwise, cook double (it doesn’t take that much more effort) and once again, freeze just before baking covered with tin foil and cling wrap.
500g Fussili, cooked
6 Large chicken breasts, finely sliced
2 leeks, finely chopped
3tsp Basil Pesto (optional, if not adding this, add 2 cloves crushed garlic)
2tsp Dijon Mustard
500ml Chicken stock
500ml Milk (You could use half milk, half cream if desired)
50ml Milk mixed with 3tbsn Cornflour
10 or so Sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 rounds Feta, cubed
1 cup Grated Cheese ( I used Pecorino)
- In a large pan/ sauce pan, fry the leeks and Chicken breasts until the chicken breasts are golden.
- Add the pesto and mustard and stir to combine. Add the stock and milk and allow to come to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the cornflour mixture, sundried tomatoes and feta.
- Allow the sauce to thicken and season to taste.
- Combine with cooked fussili and transfer to a suitable baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes at 180°C until the cheese is melted and golden.