Succulent chicken fajita skewers are a perfect, assemble-ahead weeknight dinner. Marinated in lime, oregano & olive oil, they are as tasty as they are easy.
As I type this, the leaves outside are slowly turning from glossy green to shiny yellow. The air feels crisp and cool and I am starting to think about long, slow braises instead of fast salads and easy grills. We are heading into Autumn and I can’t be more excited. I am getting ready to haul out the slow cooker again, buy big chunks of meat to cook down into rich ragus and all I can think of is creamy pastas. But before we get there, we still have a little more Summer to squeeze out and by golly, you bet I’m going to make the most of it.
These chicken fajita skewers just scream summer to me. With their smoky, grilled flavour and punchy lime-oregano marinade, they make the perfect weeknight dinner or casual weekend feast. What I love most about this recipe is that I can make the skewers ahead and allow them to relax in the marinade until I’m ready to cook them. As you’ll know if you’re a regular reader of this blog, I am not the biggest fan of bell peppers BUT the red ones are very slowly growing on me. Here, they go all sweet and juicy from the grill and along with the red onion, add great flavour to the chicken.
I served the chicken fajita skewers with warmed tortillas, guacamole and sour cream and honestly, it was probably one of my favourite meals of the year so far. Completely laid back and casual but packing serious punch. Yes please!
Chicken fajita skewers
for the skewers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1-2 bell peppers seeded and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1-2 red onions cut into bite-sized chunks
- bamboo skewers soaked in water for 1-2 hours (this prevents them from burning)
- sour cream
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice and spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken and allow to marinade for 30 mins-1 hour.
- Thread the marinated chicken onto the skewers with the peppers and onions. Place back in the marinade and allow to marinade until you are ready to cook.
- Cook the chicken fajita skewers in a hot griddle pan until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with tortillas, sour cream and guacamole.