Chocolate – Banana Springrolls
When I was in Cape Town for the Pasella shoot a month ago, I went for dinner afterwards with my good friend Sam Linsell from Drizzle and Dip. I told her I’m in the mood for some really great Dim Sum and she promised me one of the best’s is Wafu (part of Wakame) in gorgeous Mouille Point. I didn’t even think twice before I said yes because this is where one of my favourite South African foodies, Justin Bonello learnt the art of Dim Sum making during his Cooked TV series.
The Dim Sum was out-of-this-world Incredible and I still dream of the Flaky Prawn Puffs and the Spinach & Cream Cheese dumplings. After dinner, I really wanted something sweet and I thought I deserved it seeing as I’d been on set shooting the whole day. We asked the manager what desserts he recommends and when he said “Chocolate and Banana Spring rolls” I almost shouted out “YES!!!” Thank goodness I didn’t because I think our fellow diners were already suspicious of these two food bloggers taking photo’s of food and making noises not really suitable for a restaurant while we were eating (My favourite eating experiences are ones with Sam, she is absolutely in love with food, like me, and isn’t afraid to mmmmm and aaaahh her way through her meal. )
When the Spring rolls arrived I was trying not to drool all over the table and when I had the first bite, I was really in Chocolate Spring roll heaven! The banana is the perfect match for the dark and rich chocolate and if my mom didn’t raise me as well, I might have licked my plate! Instead I sneaked a quick finger over the sauce and popped it into my mouth. It was delicious!
When I told my husband afterwards about these springrolls, he almost put the phone down in my ear. You see, spring rolls are my husband’s weakness. I promised him that I would try to recreate them at home and it’s taken me a month to do so but when I did yesterday, he was transported to that same Chocolate Spring roll heaven I was. The look on his face was priceless and he said the month-long wait was absolutely worth it!
Makes 6 Spring Rolls
6 spring roll pastry sheets
2 large banana, peeled and chopped
100g dark chocolate
For the chocolate drizzle
oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a pot/wok.
- To make the spring rolls, place a sheet of pastry in front of you with a point facing away from you (like a diamond shape). Approximately 10cm from the upward facing point, place some chopped banana in a line. Add 3 blocks of chocolate and fold the point over the banana and chocolate.
- Fold the sides of the spring roll in neatly and roll up.
- Seal the fold with some of the flour paste.
- Carefully place the spring roll in the hot oil and fry for +- 3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- For the chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate and cream together and set aside.
- Serve the spring rolls with the chocolate drizzle and a final finish of icing sugar.