Easy Cinnamon Buns and a giveaway
Whenever my brother or I walk in a mall and we smell buttery-cinnamon, all good intentions go out the window and we immediately follow the scent to the nearest Cinnabon. And we don’t only buy one Cinnabon each, we buy a few. Way too many to actually consume in one sitting, but the way they are lined up, all glistening, sugary and rich just makes us swoon.
I know the proper cinnamon bun dough is made with yeast but I just could not be bothered with all that fuss so I decided to use some puff pastry instead. And it worked pretty well. They weren’t as bread-y as I’m used to but the flavours were spot on but I did promise my brother to try the proper dough soon. I wish I had a way to make these super healthy but there’s just no getting around all the butter and sugar so I suggest you make these when you are ready to indulge! And worry about the guilt the next day! (and maybe only live off water for a few days)
And not only am I giving you a recipe for Easy Cinnamon Buns, I’m also giving you the chance of winning a copy of “Potty : Clarissa’s ONE POT Cookbook” by Clarissa Dickson Wright. Clarissa is best known as one half of the fabulous “Two Fat Ladies” along with Jennifer Paterson who sadly passed away mid-way through their fourth season in 1999. This book is filled with fabulous one-pot dinners and unlike most other cookbooks, are very budget friendly. Recipes like Bacon & Egg in a mug, Chicken in Coconut Milk and Lamb curry all look delicious, comforting and filling. And I wouldn’t expect anything else from Clarissa.
To stand a chance of winning this fabulous book, comment on this post and tell me which food challenges you will be setting yourself for this year. I’d also like to know when you would like to have done this challenge by. The person that I feel is setting themselves the biggest challenge will win the book. Only residents of RSA need enter. The competition ends Tuesday, 25 January 2011 and the winner will be announced Wednesday, 26 January 2011.
Makes 12 Cinnamon Buns
1 roll, pre-made puff pastry
125g unsalted butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
5tbsn icing sugar, sifted
1tbsn cold water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c.
- Roll the puff pastry out only slightly thinner than it already is.
- Spread the softened butter over the pastry and sprinkle over the caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the pastry up into a long sausage and slice into 3-4cm slices.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Place the cinnamon buns on the tray, spiral facing up (like in the picture)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden and flaky.
- Combine the icing sugar and water and drizzle over the cinnamon buns as soon as they come out of the oven.