This easy kale chicken Caesar salad is dressed in a no-egg, creamy Caesar dressing making it no-fuss, healthy AND delicious.
I love this easy kale chicken Caesar salad because it’s the kind of thing I can make in no time (especially if I have cooked chicken in the fridge). I love a good Caesar salad and this kale version is no different.
The glorious thing about using kale in a salad is that the leaves are tough enough to stand up to dressings without wilting and going all pathetic on you. However, that’s also the problem. The leaves can be so tough and you need to really give them a good massage with lemon, olive oil and salt to break down the toughness just a little. After massaging the leaves leave them for a few minutes to marinade and chill out a little before adding all your salad toppings.
How to make Caesar salad dressing
Now let’s get to that no-egg Caesar dressing. It’s pretty much exactly the same recipe as I used in my Chicken Caesar sandwich (the one inspired by Jamie Oliver). I just didn’t add the Worcestershire sauce this time. You totally could though but I ran out and it didn’t make that much difference. I love this Caesar dressing recipe because it is so easy and requires none of the faff of a classic Caesar dressing. It’s a 5 minute job and truly delicious.
Whisk together plain yogurt, finely grated Parmesan cheese, finely chopped anchovies, minced garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. You could blend the ingredients together in a food processor too. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
How many carbs in Caesar salad
Because of the croutons, Caesar salad can be quite carb heavy. Using shop-bought dressing can push the amount of carbs over the top. I’ve replaced the croutons with Parmesan crisps to keep the crunch that croutons add with none of the carbs. The dressing is also pretty much carb-free and the total carbs per serving for this recipe is 8g.
Healthy chicken salad recipes
- Greek chicken salad
- Grilled chicken BLT salad
- Chicken quinoa salad with peas and feta
- Chicken Caprese salad
Easy no-egg kale chicken Caesar salad
for the Parmesan crisps
- 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
for the dressing
- ½ cup Greek/Plain yoghurt
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons anchovies minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
for the salad
- 4 cups fresh kale trimmed and roughly chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- cooked chicken cubed
- avocado sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºc and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form the Parmesan cheese in 6 circles, 5cm apart, and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake until melted, golden and crisp.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Place the kale in a bowl and add the lemon, olive oil and salt. Massage well then leave to marinate for 10-30 minutes (longer than 30 might make the kale too soggy).
- To serve, add the dressing and chicken to the kale and toss well.
- Serve topped with avocado slices and the Parmesan crisps.