Fettucini with Roasted butternut, goat’s cheese and fried sage
Sweet and roasted butternut tossed with sage infused cream sauce and goat’s cheese on top of al dente fettucini with crispy fried sage.
For this horrible cold-but-not weather we’ve been experiencing in Gauteng the last couple of days, this is the perfect dish. Just enough comfort to get you through but not heavy or too rich.
I got the idea for this yummy dish from the new Nigella. She used Pappardelle and Blue cheese with her dish but I was craving the smooth and sharp creaminess of goat’s cheese so I knew that would be an obvious replacement. I actually can’t remember if she used fried sage, but I just love it so much I had to add it, after all, sage and butternut are meant to be together.
This is one of those simple and delicious dishes that don’t need much explanation, you just have to eat it.
But my week has been relatively exciting and I can’t keep all the excitement to myself. I have to share it with all of you.
First of all, I was incredibly lucky yesterday to have lunch with the fabulous Justin Bonello. I met him a few weeks ago at an Exclusive Books event and begged and pleaded with his great publicist Ellen to get me an interview when he was next in Joburg. The only problem was that Justin is such an amazingly nice guy, we barely got to the interview part. We chatted all through lunch about his new show and on Friday, I’ll be posting the whole experience here.
Then, Nando’s (of Peri-Peri Chicken fame) approached me to have a bit of fun with their new Kiddies menu launch the last week. We put our heads together and came up with an idea that is not to be missed. If you have kids between the ages of 5 and 12 (or know of anyone that does) who has a birthday in the next 3 months, keep an eye out today. I’ll be doing a proper post this afternoon.
But for now, I leave you with the recipe of the day! Enjoy! Oh, and remember, today the last word gets added to the “Guess the Phrase”. Entries close on Friday and the winner will be chosen at random! Also, please remember only RSA residents’ entries will be viable.
Fettucini with Roasted butternut, goat's cheese and fried sage
- 750 g butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into cubes (about 1 medium butternut)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 sage leaves
- 100 g (1/2 cup) goat's cheese
- cooked fettucini
- sage leaves, fried until crispy
- Place the butternut in a roasting tray and drizzle with the oil and honey. Add a sprinkling of salt and toss to coat the butternut.
- Roast at 180°c for 20-30 minutes until the butternut is soft and caramelised around the edges.
- n a small saucepan, combine the cream, garlic and sage and allow to infuse over very gentle heat for 5-7 minutes. Season to taste.
- To serve, combine the butternut, cream sauce and cooked Fettucini. Serve with some crumbled goat’s cheese and fried sage.