Rich and creamy peanut butter ice cream is just dreamy. Serve in cones or on top of waffles with berry sauce for the perfect dessert.
As I mentioned last week in the Blueberry cheesecake ice cream post, my friend Karien and I went on a little ice cream adventure together when we decided to collaborate and create a few fabulous ice creams. One of my favorites was the peanut butter one which I may or may not have been eating straight out of the container. Seriously. If you like peanut butter this is something you HAVE to try!
This peanut butter ice cream works incredibly well served in cones, as shown here, but I made some crêpes the other day which I filled with Nutella. To add even more indulgence, I topped the crepes with a scoop of the peanut butter ice cream. Man alive. I have never experienced such deliciousness. If there weren’t people around me, I would for realsies shove my face in my plate. It’s also fantastic served on waffles with berry sauce for a PB & J inspired dessert. So delicious!
How to make peanut butter ice cream
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan. Pour the hot cream into the egg yolks whilst whisking continuously. Whisk in the peanut butter and add a pinch of salt.
Transfer the mixture to an ice cream churner then churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the churned ice cream to a sealable, freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To make the ice cream by hand, pour the custard into a shallow, freezer safe dish and place in the freezer. Allow to freeze for 45 minutes (or until it starts to set around the edges) then remove from the freezer and whisk vigorously. Repeat this step until the ice cream is frozen. This will take approximately 2-3 hours. Cover with a lid and freeze for up to 3 months.
Peanut butter recipes
- Peanut butter monster cookie bars
- Easy peanut butter chocolate sheet cake
- Peanut butter swirl banana bread
Peanut butter Ice Cream
- 500 ml cream
- 300 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 150 g sugar
- 200 g peanut butter I used organic, smooth peanut butter
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy.
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan to boiling point. Slowly whisk the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar. Mix in the peanut butter until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream churner and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Once churned, place in the freezer until ready to serve.