Warm Spring Veg salad with Feta Cheese
Steamed Spring vegetables are the star in this Spring veg salad which is a delicious side or vegetarian main. Crumbly feta cheese adds creamy, saltiness.
I always find it quite amusing how people start acting at the beginning of Spring. All of a sudden the gym’s are packed, the lines at the drive-thru’s are shorter and people are buying a whole truck load more fresh veg and fruit. Ok, the latter might be because the fruit and veg this time of year are just sublime. Fresh, crisp and green vegetables like sugar snap peas, asparagus and courgettes make it so easy to want to be healthy.
That’s why I took full advantage of the seasonality of these vegetables (except for the Asparagus as I couldn’t find any..go figure), and use them in a wonderful Spring veg salad. I knew the sweetness of the steamed veg would go well with the saltiness of Feta cheese and to round everything off, I made a zesty vinaigrette with chilli and garlic.
To make a more substantial, vegetarian meal, you could add some steamed new potatoes and toss everything together. Or you could do what I did, I served this salad with roast chicken for a simple, delicious meal.
Warm Spring vegetable salad
- 2 cups baby peas
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 3 cups green beans
- 3 cups zucchini/courgette sliced
- 1½ cups asparagus tips
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
for the dressing
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 red chilli pepper finely chopped (seeds removed if you want the dressing to be milder)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Steam all the vegetables until just tender. You want them to still be bright green and firm.
- Combine the steamed veg with the feta cheese.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss to combine and serve warm.