Easy weeknight chicken curry with cucumber yoghurt and roti
A deeply aromatic and flavourful chicken curry served with roti and cucumber raita is perfectly suited for fuss-free weeknight cooking.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 12 pieces chicken of your choice bone in, skin on (drumsticks, thighs and wings work well)
- 1 large onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes / 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar optional
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh coriander chopped, to serve
- warmed roti to serve
for the cucumber yoghurt
- 1 cup grated cucumber
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- lemon juice salt and pepper, to taste
Heat a large, deep pan over high heat and add a splash of oil to the pan.
Brown the chicken all over then remove and set aside.
Add the onions to the pot and allow to soften for 5 minutes then add the ginger, garlic and spices.
Add another splash of oil if the mixture is too dry and fry for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken back to the pan then pour in the tomatoes, chicken stock and sugar.
Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
After 15 minutes, add the cream and season to taste then allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
Sprinkle over the chopped coriander and serve with the roti and cucumber yoghurt.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 144mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 897mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 770IU | Vitamin C: 10.5mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 1.6mg