Spicy coconut chicken curry bowls with cardamom Basmati rice
These aromatic chicken curry bowls served with cardamom Basmati rice, a simple tomato and onion salsa and lots of fresh chillies makes a perfect weeknight meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 -6
- 600 g skinless de-boned chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon mixed masala or curry spice of your choice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cardamom pods crushed
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the curry
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed masala spice
- 1 x 400g can whole tomatoes
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt to taste
for the tomato and onion salsa
- 2 ripe tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- large handful fresh coriander or parsley finely chopped
- squeeze of fresh lemon/lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cardamom Basmati rice see method below
- fresh chillies sliced
- fresh coriander
To make the cardamom Basmati rice, simply follow packet instructions and add 4 crushed cardamom pods to the rice as it cooks.
Combine the chicken with all the spices and oil and mix well. Allow to stand for 10 minutes while you fry the onions.
In a large pot, heat a splash of vegetable oil then saute the onions until they are golden brown.
Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute until the mixture is aromatic.
Add the chicken to the pot and allow to brown for 5 minutes before pouring in the tomatoes and coconut milk. If the curry looks a bit dry to you, you can add a cup or so of water or stock.
Turn the heat down and allow the chicken to simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
While the curry is cooking, combine all the ingredients of the salsa and season well.
When the curry is cooked, adjust the seasoning by adding lemon juice, sugar and salt to taste.
Serve the curry over the cardamom rice with a generous spoonful of salsa, fresh chillies and fresh coriander.