Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan)
Eggplant layered with tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese and baked until golden and bubbling. Parmigiana di Melanzane is the perfect low carb comfort food.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 large eggplant/aubergine sliced into 1cm slices
- 150 g (2/3 cup) mozzarella
- 100 g (1 cup) Parmesan cheese grated
for the sauce
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 250 g (¼lb) mushrooms sliced (I used portobellini/cremini mushrooms)
- 800 g (28oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and grill in a hot griddle pan for 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
To make the sauce, sauté the onion in a saucepan in a splash of oil until soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and mushrooms and herbs and fry until the mushrooms are golden brown.
Add the remaining ingredients and allow to simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced slightly.
To assemble the bake, layer the grilled eggplant with the sauce and cheese in an oven-proof dish, reserving some of the mozzarella for the topping.
Place the dish in the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve with salad/bread of your choice.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 487mg | Potassium: 985mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 413IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 2mg