Easy one-bowl chocolate cupcakes
These easy one bowl chocolate cupcakes are rich, moist and delicious topped with swirls of rich, fudgy dark chocolate buttercream frosting.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 cupcakes
- 200g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 175g (1 and 1/2 cups) flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 extra-large egg
- 125ml (½ cup) milk
- 75ml (¼ cup and 1 tbsp) melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml (½ cup) boiling water (you can also use coffee)
For the chocolate buttercream frosting
- 125g (1 stick) Butter, softened
- 400g (5-6 cups) icing/powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g (3.5oz) dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tbsp cold, strong coffee
- 2-3 tbsp milk
Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc. Grease and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners.
Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Add the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla extract and combine with the dry ingredients. Beat until the mixture is smooth.
Slowly add the boiling water and mix until combined.
Distribute the batter between the cupcake liners and place in the oven.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
To make the icing, beat the butter until light and fluffy then add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until well incorporated. Add the coffee, melted chocolate and 1 tbsp of milk and beat until light and fluffy. You might need more milk to reach the desired consistency.
Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
Decorate and serve.