Baked Doughnut muffins with Blueberry Jam

Baked doughnut muffins with blueberry jam

The first time I saw these doughnut muffins in one of my favourite food magazines, BBC Good Food, my heart literally skipped a beat. I was absolutely in love and I knew I would just have to make them for my family (but mostly for me)!

Baked doughnut muffins with blueberry jam

Their original recipe calls for Raspberry preserves which I didn’t have so I used my current ‘preserve obsession’ which is Bonne Maman’s Blueberry preserves. I love how deep and deliciously dark this jam is while the flavour is pleasantly sweet and very blueberry, just what you want right?

Baked doughnut muffins with blueberry jam

These muffins were incredibly delicious and I didn’t have to offer them twice. Within a few minutes they were all gone and I was asked immediately when I would be baking them again. With the recipe being so simple, I could honestly say within the next few days, in fact, it was the very next day. I would suggest you double this recipe as these have serious crowd-appeal and they never stick around for long. They also last for about 4 days in a sealed container (which is not that great as they make a very tempting breakfast with strong coffee).

Baked doughnut muffins with blueberry jam

Makes 12 doughnut muffins

150g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100ml plain yoghurt (I used fat-free Bulgarian yoghurt)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g butter, melted
12 tsp blueberry preserves
for the coating
150g caster sugar

1. Heat the oven to 180°c and lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
  2. Put the sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix to combine.
  3. In a seperate bowl/jug, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients and melted butter into the dry ingredients and fold until mixed well.
  4. Place 2 tbsp of the mixture into each muffin hole. Add 1 tsp of the jam into the centre of each and then cover with the rest of the batter.
  5. Place the muffins into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing and rolling in the caster sugar.
  7. Serve warm.

Baked doughnut muffins with blueberry jam

Previous Post
Next Post
  • Michelle

Aww. I wanna make these so badly. I wish I had a scale :(. I’m not good with baking measurements in grams

• josh

i can’t eat eggs… any idea if this would work with “flax eggs” or applesauce?

• Ally_R

Josh, I have never baked with either flax eggs or applesauce so if you try it, please let me know how it turns out so I can add a note to my post!

• S

Will this work with gluten free plain flour?

• Ally_R

I don’t think it should make much difference except for the taste. If you try it, please let me know!

• Faye

These look divine! I would really love to make them. Any tips on converting the measurements to cups?

• Ally_R

Faye, 1 cup flour = 125g, 1 cup sugar = 225g, 1 cup liquid = 250ml. Hope that helps!

• Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves)

These look (and sound!) so delicious!! I bookmarked this recipe when I saw it in BBC Good Food, but never got around to making it. I’ve no idea why, since it seems so straightforward. I’ll definitely be trying it this weekend though!

• Ally_R

Mel, don’t put it off any longer! You will love them, I’m sure!

These look amazing! I am really intrigued by the idea of doughnut muffins, I’m a jelly doughnut girl from way back!

• Ally_R

Sue, I was also very intrigued and that’s why I just HAD to make them. I was not disappointed!

• Marie

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, they are simply delicious!! 🙂 I will keep it safe in my recipes book and will bake and re-bake them for sure.

• Ally_R

Marie, I’m so glad you enjoyed them! x

• Annie

Not that great, not worth the calories

• Ally_R

Sorry to hear that Annie. Are you normally a fan of jam/jelly doughnuts?

• Nos

Made these yesterday – they are divine! Can’t wait to make them again

• Ally_R

So glad you liked them Nos!

• Colleen

Jeepers! These look and sound fantastically yummy!! Something I shall have to try out for the family!! Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a blessed and happy Easter xx

• Ally_R

They are just delicious Col. Perfect for Easter weekend baking. 🙂 Have a wonderfully blessed Easter weekend! x