This is without-a-doubt my absolute favourite lunch at the moment. It takes mere moments to throw together and delivers a punch of flavour like you can’t believe. The reason it’s so quick to put together is because I use things that I have lying in my fridge to make this salad. Leftover chicken, a packet of coleslaw mix (with cabbage and carrots) and the dressing is made up of pantry staples.
What makes the salad such a delight is that it is so versatile. If you don’t have chicken, use prawns, tinned tuna, left-over steak or pork. Or leave the meat out if you’d rather have it vegetarian. Add cashews if you want more crunch and add more chilli if you want more spice. With this version I used leftover poached chicken which I shredded into the coleslaw mix and added lots of fresh coriander, toasted cashews and a grated apple for a hint of sweetness.
If you’d like to make this ahead (it makes a FAB lunchbox filler), simply make the salad without dressing it the night before and dress the salad just before you are ready to eat. The chicken and cabbage really suck up the dressing and the cabbage will go a little soggy if you dress it the night before.
Asian chicken & cabbage saladPrint Pin Rate
- 2 cups coleslaw mix shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cooked chicken breast shredded
- coriander leaves to taste
- 1 apple grated
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashew nuts
for the dressing
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped optional
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Toss to coat the salad in the dressing and serve.