Chicken salad is a classic for a reason and these creamy curried chicken salad sandwiches are perfect as an easy lunch the whole family will love.
How to make chicken salad
Use any leftover cooked chicken or poach chicken breasts in stock flavored with lemon rind, garlic and pepper until just cooked then shred and allow to cool. Finely dice celery (de-seeded cucumber and fennel are good substitutes), apple (or grapes) and red onion and add to the chicken along with flaked/sliced almonds. To make the dressing, combine mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, honey, curry powder or garam masala of your choice, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the chicken and mix well. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
How long does chicken salad last?
If kept in an airtight container in the fridge, chicken salad will last 3-5 days.
Is chicken salad healthy?
There are many healthy alternatives to the ingredients in chicken salad. To make the dressing healthier, swap out mayonnaise for Greek yogurt and flavor with honey, spices and herbs. Poached chicken is a great source of low-fat protein. Adding fruit and vegetables like apples, grapes, celery, baby spinach and onion not only adds crunch but also increases the fiber and nutrient value of chicken salad.
Easy chicken recipes for lunch
- Easy Greek chicken grain bowl
- Chicken quinoa salad with peas and feta
- Mexican chicken lunch bowls
- Low-carb Chicken satay salad
- Soy honey noodle salad
Curried chicken salad sandwiches
For the poached chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts boneless + skinless
- 8 cups stock / water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 pieces lemon rind
- 5 peppercorns
For the chicken salad
- 1 cup celery finely diced
- 2 apples finely diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- ½ cup flaked almonds
For the chicken salad dressing
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tsp honey
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp garam masala or curry powder of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the stock and aromatics to a simmer then add the chicken breasts. Gently poach the chicken for 7-10 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the poaching liquid then shred with two forks and allow to cool.
- Add the celery, apple, onion and almonds to the shredded chicken.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary then cover and chill until ready to serve.
We have cut out bread but I served the chicken salad in lettuce cups and my kids couldn’t get enough. Great recipe!
Such a good idea. Glad your kids loved it. 🙂