When I first spotted these gorgeous candy-striped beetroot at Woolworths last week, I almost squealed. I’m not sure when I became the person who squealed over vegetables but she’s here now and I don’t actually mind because honestly, how beautiful are they? I cooked a few of the pretty globes and was disappointed to see that once cooked, the perky pink and white stripes turn into a funny yellow and the stripes are less noticeable. I then decided to make a salad topped with everything delicious and I can tell you that I have stumbled upon a real winner here.
The sweet, earthiness of the beetroot is perfectly complimented by the sweet, caramelised nuts and the tangy goat’s cheese. Served on a bed of herby baby salad leaves and dressed in a thyme vinnaigrette, this salad makes the perfect lunch or chic starter. Definitely a regular on our menu from now on.
Candy-Striped beetroot salad with Maple-candied pecans and goat's cheesePrint Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
for the maple-candied pecans
- 100 g pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
for the thyme vinaigrette
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
for the salad
- 2-3 candy-stripe beetroot peeled and very thinly siced
- 100 g soft goat's cheese I used Chevin
- baby salad leaves try to get a pack that has herbs mixed in
- To make the candied pecans, toast the nuts in a large frying pan over medium heat for a minute.
- Pour in the maple syrup and allow to cook and get sticky for a minute.
- Remove the nuts from the pan and place on a sheet of baking paper. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the salad, place the salad leaves on a platter and top with the sliced beetroot, candied pecans and crumble over the goat's cheese.
- Dress with the vinaigrette and serve.
I love pecans, I love beet roots, and I love salads…this is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you for sharing this recipe! Can’t wait to try it out!
Hope you love it!