A one-pot, easy chicken and rice casserole is always a winner. Add broccoli and cheese and you’re guaranteed empty plates.
Table of Contents
- Butter/olive oil.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs will work. Skinless chicken thighs will stay juicier while baking so I would recommend that over breasts.
- Chilli flakes.
- Oregano. Other herbs like parsley or thyme will work too.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Broccoli. Other vegetables like mushrooms, corn, frozen mixed vegetables or peppers will all work.
- Rice. Any long grain white rice like Jasmine or Basmati rice will work.
- Chicken stock/chicken broth.
- Cheese. I used cheddar cheese but any good melting cheese will be delicious.
How to make chicken and rice casserole
I use a large sauté pan for this easy chicken rice casserole recipe but you can use a large skillet or casserole dish too. If using a baking dish, cook the vegetables and chicken in a large pan first then add to the dish with the rice and stock.
Sauté the onion, celery and garlic until soft and fragrant, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken and spices and cook until the chicken starts to brown. Stir in the broccoli florets, making sure everything is well-combined. Add the rice and pour in the stock then season with salt and pepper.
Cover with foil or a lid and place in a preheated oven. Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Sprinkle over the grated cheese then bake for another 5 minutes until melted before serving.
Can I make this ahead?
Absolutely! Prep the recipe all way to just before placing in the oven. Allow to cool then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. The baking time might need to be adjusted slightly as the rice will have absorbed some of the stock already but simply bake until the rice is cooked through. The finished casserole can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Add a little stock and reheat in the oven. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave oven.
Cheesy broccoli chicken and rice casserole
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery spears finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 kg (2lbs) chicken cubed
- 4 cups broccoli florets (approximately 300g/10oz)
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Saute the onion, celery and garlic until soft and fragrant, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and spices and cook until the chicken starts to brown.
- Stir in the broccoli florets, making sure everything is well-combined.
- Add the rice and stock then season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place in a preheated oven.
- Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Scatter over the grated cheese then bake for another 5 minutes until melted before serving.