An easy, one-pot chicken and rice casserole is always a winner. Add broccoli and cheese and you’re guaranteed empty plates.
The full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs will work. Thighs will stay juicier while baking so I would recommend that over breasts.
- Chilli flakes.
- Salt and pepper.
- Rice. Any long grain rice like Jasmine or Basmati will work.
- Chicken stock.
- Cheese. I used white cheddar but any good melting cheese will be delicious.
How to make chicken and rice casserole
- Start the casserole: Saute the onion, celery and garlic until soft and fragrant, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken and spices and cook until the chicken starts to brown. Stir in the broccoli florets, making sure everything is well-combined. Add the rice and stock then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Cover and place in a preheated oven. Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Scatter over the grated cheese then bake for another 5 minutes until melted before serving.
Can I make this ahead?
Absolutely! Prep the recipe all way to just before placing in the oven. Allow to cool then cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. The baking time might need to be adjusted slightly as the rice will have absorbed some of the stock already but simply bake until the rice is cooked through. The finished casserole can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Add a little stock and reheat in the oven.
Cheesy broccoli chicken and rice casserole
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 celery spears finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 kg (2lbs) chicken cubed
- 4 cups broccoli florets (approximately 300g/10oz)
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Saute the onion, celery and garlic until soft and fragrant, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and spices and cook until the chicken starts to brown.
- Stir in the broccoli florets, making sure everything is well-combined.
- Add the rice and stock then season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place in a preheated oven.
- Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Scatter over the grated cheese then bake for another 5 minutes until melted before serving.
What temperature do you set the oven to?
Hi. Do we cook the chicken on low or medium heat? And does it have to fully cooked on the stove before putting it in the oven? Thanks
I cooked the chicken over medium-high heat and no, it doesn’t have to be fully cooked on the stove. It will be overcooked by the time the casserole is finished since it spends a good 20 minutes in the oven as well. 🙂
Hello Alida, can this casserole be frozen?
Absolutely! If you’d like you can bake the casserole in a foil container then cool completely, cover well (I would do at least 2 layers of foil) and freeze. Bake from frozen until hot throughout and if it looks a little dry, add a half cup of stock.